From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:22:23 -0700
Peter Borst:
Beekeepers in temperate climates should therefore combine late autumn
> management strategies with treatment protocols that keep the mite
> population at low levels before and during the period when the winter
> bees emerge.

Reply:
Boy, this is the wrongful thinking that I have heard so far, for if you take the chemicals and acids (which are wrong to begin with, instead of changing field management practices/equipment to handle the problem), and then use before and during the period when the winter bees emerge (Aug/sep/Oct depending upon local), you are doing this prior to major broodnest turnover of late summer going into fall. This means to me treating during honey flows, like main flows on the down swing, and treatment by most all labels requires taking off the honey supers fwiw to supposedly not contaminate them,... like the broodnest (Maryam Fraziers great talk), already seemingly done. On top of that, this action to me, besides, would then tend lessen honey crop to those doing, you also treat the broodnest already having problems with treatments of chemicals and acids IMPOV negating the active microorganisms in pollen and perhaps even the honey, or any supplemental feeds( if
 any in the hives to a lesser meaningful diet) that is wholesome for life, like making it useless to raise new brood upon (broodnest turn), or keep older bees going (shortening life), plus forcing them instead to live day to day foraging for fresh clean pollen/nectar, for a major broodnest turnover coming with no inhouse backup stores, that is not already contaminated, via these treatments,before and during the period when winter bees emerge, for really brooding up again, with older adult bees now sicker and in a weaker body health due to treatments and poor diet. Then say go into winter and live thru it? Yep, certainly will and then we wonder why bees die and beekeepers have lesser good honey crops?

Some I just don't understand treatment protocols that keep the mite
 population at low levels before and during the period when the winter
 bees emerge, which is prior to Aug/Sep/Oct timing then.......

Dee A. Lusby