From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:47:30 -0500
Maybe some of you all can dispel me of this notion. Give me reason to hope for a brighter future, not too far off in the distance.

I waited a few days hoping others would chime in.  seems at times too many lurkers and not enough conversation.  But back to your point.

Mark  you have been around a while,  your old enough to remember Pencap, everyone selling out,  and honey at .30 a pound (or less)  frankly its not that far back.  You know that.  15 years ago things were really crap,  low honey prices,  no real scale of hobbiest,  and Varro, starting to kick some real butt.

Yes,  without a doubt the global situation has hurt or local bees,  the same way small pox hurt Indians.  But  as much as I loathe to admit it,  Jim Doan,  and Dave hackenburg managed to raise global awareness of bees.  Now instead of the crazy guy who will collect a swarm that’s in the way,  we are they guys saveing the world.....  Instead of "walmart has it cheaper"  we hear,  "this is the good local stuff right?"

Money for research is flowing like no tomorrow,  its so bad  at least 1/2 the research being done is total crap,  but funded anyway!.  Public awareness of Chinese honey dumping is at an all time high.  Any idiot who can pull frames can sell nucs for top dollar!  Heck a friend in OH is even selling off his crap boxes to antique dealers at 10.00 a pop!

Even varro kind of has a upside,  it keeps its weeding out the weak beekeepers. You have to be on top your game these days. We all know that.  Mistakes while costly are an issue,  mistakes of others is creating opportunities.

I see beekeepers driving new trucks,  building new shops, and buying new equipment.  That’s new.  I like it!   Pollination fees are actually at a reasonable level in most places,  and "awareness" of pesticide issues and native forages is going nowhere but up.
Hobby people are consuming  bees and knowledge at a fantastic and rising rate.

I see good things........

Charles