Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:39:46 -0400
I received an interesting email off-list and feel it is worth passing on in case
anyone is hoping that UV could be a magic bullet in the hands of persons
with no clear idea where scale is located, where pollen is located or what
pollen in cells looks like.

---  begin quote ---

The "false positive" with UV is overwhelming, as pollen also fluoresces when
exposed to the same wavelengths where AFB would fluoresce, and does so far
more brightly.  I walked up and down the angstroms, and found only anguish.

--- end quote ---

In my experience, and that is far back in my distant memory, UV is useful for
revealing scalewhich has already been suspected in dark comb, but which has
been polished by the bees -- or for picking out combs for further examination
when working in in dim lighting conditions.

Of course any tool that encourages examination of brood comb and stimulates
curiosity is bound to be of some value, but as my correspondent pointed out,
it is far from being a substitute for an understanding of where to look and
a proper examination in good light.