From:
kirk jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 22:00:37 -0800
Allen writes:

<<It seems that many are confused between 1.) commercial, sideline, and
hobby beekeeping operations where the beekeepers are necessarily
dependant on outside stock due to small hive numbers, priorities,
locale, lack of education, funding, or suitable stock, and/or other
factors and 2.) committed, capable well-equipped and focused breeding
projects which feed into mass production and distribution channels.

In the first case, nothing enduring is ever going to come of this
group's activities, no matter how earnest, and their "propping up"
their bees only makes economic sense and will have no net impact on
bee genetics, but will certainly have a huge impact on their bottom
line.  Any needless losses they take are unjustified by reason.>>
Geez Allen, that's quite a broad dismissive sweep there. ;-)
I have to take issue with you on this one. I don't think it's quite as black and white as you suggest.
Even small beekeepers could be instrumental in selecting and creating gene pools that provide drones
in locales that improve local stock. Maybe a drop in the bucket, but a drop non-the-less.

Even propping up some stock for economic reasons doesn't mean you still can't pick out the best
to graft from. We definitely prop up any stock that needs help to build up to make honey, but will
quickly cull out any dud stock come fall. We can still see which bees thrive above the others.
The cream will rise to the top and we will always pick those as breeders. Our bees look fabulous.
(knock on wood)

 Kirk Jones

Sleeping Bear Farms   beekeepers making honey...
Benzie Playboys           cajun and zydeco band........