From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 15:31:20 -0500
On 11-Jan-16, at 12:59 PM, Justin Kay wrote:

>>  a varroa control method (we
>> now enjoy quite a nice tool kit of these) that they can employ when
>> a hive
>> encounters problems with varroa.  What frequency and method do you
>> suggest to those starting out to monitor for mites?

Hi Justin, Deborah and All

I am not a treatment free advocate.  I do, however, only treat for
varroa if my monitoring indicates a need.  2015, for example, was a
year with very low mite sticky board counts here.  My only varroa
treatment was oxalic dribble in early December.

I have noticed that when we have an early spring here such that a mild
March continues into summer, the bees build up early and so do the
varroa so that varroa treatment in August is necessary.  2012 was a
year like this and my mid July sticky board counts were high(109, 27,
67, 20, 99, 128, 16, 10, 10 from 9 hives).  I used formic acid mite
wipes from Jul 28 till Aug 16 on all hives.  After taking a break for
my other life(visiting family) I rechecked two hives and found high
counts again(64,44) so treated all hives with apivar(first time using
chem strips since '90s).

All of my hives have screened bottom boards that I operate open to the
ground except when taking mite counts.  I asked Keith Delaplane about
open screens which he thought would be perfect for breeding SHB(we
don't have yet), but he thought they would be great with an oil tray
underneath.  Permanently installed screened bottom boards make sticky
board monitoring a piece of cake, leaving them open to the ground
eliminates the hive junk that collects on the solid bottom boards.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W