Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:38:42 -0400
> In order for nosema to rise to lethal levels, it has to be already present
> in the colony.  Now the cause for lethality needs to be determines whether
> it was the feeding of sugar syrup or the continued inability of the bees to
> fly from the hives to deficate.

Agree. Nosema has to be there in the fall. It does not erupt spontaneously.
We also are looking at colonies immersed in a Maine winter. So you could
feed in the fall, help the nosema along and end up in spring where there is
more than you would have had if you did not feed, based on the post, which
we are assuming is correct.

Nosema does spread in a confined colony.

As far as defecation, try going to an out house in a Maine winter. You will
stay puckered a long time before you try it. Up here,that is the main reason
Bears hibernate.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine