Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:18:31 EDT
Report from Hemingway, SC:   7-2-99

   You will recall I mentioned that a mosquito application was done here in
the town, prior to our spring BBQ-Shag festival. This was done in the morning
during peak bee foraging hours. The county mosquito district head denied
application throughout the community (we are certain they went by us, three
blocks away), but admitted to the application at the park and the roadsides
adjacent to it. There were dozens of species of bee forage plants in bloom.

    Despite their admitting only the limited area (which I think is untrue),
they have still been cited, because clover was found in the grass, mustard
was found on the roadsides, and honeysuckle adjacent to the ball field.

    The applicator also implicated himself by admitting that the spray was
drifting over into the woods behind the ball field. The label states: "do not
apply when weather conditions favor drift from areas treated"   also, "This
pesticide is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or to residues
remaining on the treated area. Do not apply when bees are actively visiting
the crop, cover crop, or weeds blooming in the treatment area."

   Now there is a ten day period for comment and additional information,
before any enforcement action is taken. I am asking for criminal prosecution,
because the district has been cited before, because the director told me
personally that bees were not considered, and because each such violation is
a seizure of property from beekeepers without compensation, a violation of
the Bill of Rights.  In the past, applicators who are public officials, have
not had any enforcement action taken, though the pesticide regulators cited
them for application inconsistant with the labeling.

     And again I am requesting our enforcement folks to require that
compliance with bee directions on the labels be based on actual monitoring,
prior to applications, not on guesses and assumptions.  The latter is an
obvious indication of negligence, in the legal sense.  I am also requesting
(once again) that spot checks be done on cotton applications during cotton
bloom, to ascertain compliance with bee label directions. So far the
regulation people have refused to do this.  Just a few checks, and word would
get around, and bee kills would drop off dramatically.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm