From:
Michael Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:30:32 -0500
Yes, paper letters are better than email

TN representive Duncan at one time sent me a letter saying he would no longer respond to emails and didn't consider them valid because he claimed many emails were being sent falsely using peoples names without their knowledge. He went on to include a cartoon that made fun of the issue I emailed him about and a letter that disagreed with everything I said.

Do I feel represented?

I usually send out about 7 form emails a week but when an issue comes up that I'm really concered about I write a paper letter. On those form emails, its a good idea to change the subject and the content. Better yet do that and copy and paste it into your own email system. Admitidly I usually sign my name and hit send on these, as time is limited, and at least this counts for something. Alternatively you can print out the form letter and mail it to increase your "score" of concern.

There is some quick studies out there, like the survey mentioned,  that rate the value of each form of communication. Personal visit I believe is at the top while email is at the bottom. Phone I believe is second.