From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:27:12 -0700

> I am occasionally asked by researchers to review drafts of papers prior to
publication.  Many of them begin the introduction by justifying their
research by mentioning the "decline" of the honey bee.  I always strike out
this reference to the myth.

Science should be an honest search for understanding why things are the way
they are.  It is best pursued by being accurate about the initial
assumptions.

But people do not want to deal with biological complexity, nor take blame
for their own contributions to a problem (such as the massive damage to
habitats by our consumer-fueled exploitation of our natural resources and
landscapes).

Insecticides are designed to kill insects.  But as the recent paper by
Galen Dively demonstrates, there is scant evidence to put the blame for all
pollinator problems upon any single insecticide.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA