Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:22:34 -0400
PLB wrote:
"The concept of continual treatment with antibiotics may not set well
with many
beekeepers but it is common practice in most modern livestock
production. As far
as that goes, antibiotics are widespread in agriculture as well, if you
include
all the various fungicides, etc. Whether or not this is a "good idea" I
shall
not venture to say. Don't shoot the messenger!"

There are worries that, because of their routine widespread use,
antibiotic resistance is becoming increasingly common and soon we will
run out of any that work.  This dismal prospect will affect not only
the bees but also US!  Best advice is not to use them unless you really
have to.

Chris