From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2017 01:44:45 -0500

On 7-Nov-17, at 11:12 AM, Justin Kay wrote:

>>  I operated all doubles and switched
> to singles two years ago, and my "per hive" honey average increased.
> Smaller hives actually increased my honey production.

Hi Bill, Justin & All

I think that, not only climate but, timing of the first  major nectar
flow is important in determining when to start stimulating expansion
in spring.  For me the first major flow is mid-July(sweet clover,
basswood, milkweed etc) so I start feeding syrup & pollen substitute
mid-March(weather permitting).

I have operated mainly singles since the mid-nineties and do not
consider them smaller hives.  The brood chamber is one box with wall
to wall brood but contains almost no honey or pollen(stored  by the
bees in the first box above the Q excluder), whereas doubles have
brood in 2 boxes(but not more brood) with lots of honey & pollen also.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W