From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:43:55 -0400
In southern CT the typical early spring blooms were a little late but then everything caught up and a strong flow developed in late spring which just ended. Most folks harvested early but now we're fast approaching drought conditions so the coming blooms are in question.  One thing I noticed this year for the first time in years is that the bees worked tulip poplar which may have contributed to the strong late spring flow.

Currently, the bracts on basswood are uneven and only the tops facing south show some promise.  I saw this same thing two years ago when we had a late spring frost so not sure what will happen this year but early signs don't look good.  I've also noticed that the linden cultivars looked normal but I typically don't see honey bees on them.

My bees bridge the gap until the knotweed and goldenrod flow with milkweed, Canada thistle, buttonbush, dogbane, sumac and other minor stuff like blue vervain and trefoil.  Milkweed, Canada thistle, and smooth sumac are already out with staghorn and winged sumac to follow. The sumacs will bloom all through August and can end up being important nectar sources.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT