From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:04:21 +0900
>I have to move some hives due to construction any reccomendation.
>On how to least upset them.
>
>1) What time of day to move them. (Early morning/Early Evening)
>
>2) How far do I have to move them.
>
>It's right at the beginning of a good honey flow so I prefer not to go
>that far.

Close the hive entrances after the bees have ceased flying for the day.
Whether you travel at night and put the hives down in the dark or shut the
hive before sunrise and move them then depends on your own preference and
the difficulty of the move.

Hives must be moved 2 miles to ensure that the field bees do not return to
the previous site although if the country is forested so that the landmarks
are markedly different, 1 mile should suffice.

Hive entrances can be closed with strips of foam rubber (easy to insert and
remove), wet newspaper or cloth.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island