From:
Peter Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:48:35 -0700
                                     email: [log in to unmask]

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Robert Watson wrote:

> No!   1 kg or 1.5 is usual for added sugar.

Whoops!! Sorry about that. I should have paid more attention to the
instructions.

I think there is a marketing potential here for a special size pack
specifically for the home brewer market. There are brew kit stores
everywhere and special sugars ( dextrose) are sold at a premium to
accommodate this market.
As Rob pointed out , honey is better than sugar, I have never had a
fermentation stop. Nor have I bothered boiling the honey . I figure that
the enormous quantity of yeast cells that you add from the little sachet
will out compete any of the wild yeasts. The fermentation is all over in 4
-5 days .

Incidentely I use 2 litre PTFE soda pop bottles with new screw caps to
bottle my beer. They each make a handy " six pack" plus I've found the
yeast cells collect in the little indentations in the bottom and , most of
the time, coagulate and do not turn the brew cloudy when the bottle is
opened.

I use white granulated sugar for the secondary fermentation - in the
bottle to provide the fizz- perhaps the different sugars cause the yeast
cells to coagulate - at any rate the product is more visually pleasing
without the cloudiness.

Cheers

Peter Wilson
Edmonton, Alberta