Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 20:29:43 -0400
Being highly allergic to sulfa drugs i don't know if i would want any residue
in honey that was from a hive treated with the drug.  I don't know what my
reactive level is nor do I know if repeat exposure would further sensitize
me.  As far as hog farmers using Sulfa liberally, that was a past practice
and now more and more are not using it.  I read one study where the drug
persists in the ground and water around hog farms for twenty years or more.
 Seems to be a pretty stable drug compound.

It is very effective against AFB and EFB as both bacteria are highly affected
by it.  I don't know if these disease organisms have strains that are
resistant to the drug but if they do eventually those would be selected out
if the drugs were misused and then we would have another resistant bug.  We
sure don't need that.  It is true howvever that the U.S. drug approval system
is for thems thats got the bucks, read that will make their money back in
sales and patent protection after the research is done.  There are no orphan
drug programs to my knowledge for animal drug developement in the U.S. like
their are for human drugs.  Its hard to be members of a small industry.

So much for my soapbox today
Bill Nelson
North Liberty, IN. U.S.A.  four hives at this time.