From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 17:56:56 -0400
> ... Following binding to the nicotinic receptor,

Yep, first it has to bind, and the overwhelming bulk of neonic molecules are
metabolized by the bees before they have a chance to do so.  So large a
percentage is that Randy will still assert that the percentage is 100%,
while Christine has convinced at least me, if not many of us, that the
number is something ever-so slightly less than 100%.

> ...Sustained activation of the receptor results
> from the inability of acetylcholinesterases to
> break down the pesticide. This binding
> process is irreversible.

Yes, this is how neonics work on insects without robust mechanisms to
metabolize these pesticides.  This is also what happens when a bee gets too
large a dose of the neonics, as they overload the bees' ability to
metabolize them, rather like a heavy rain overflowing a storm drain.

Beekeeping has become a lot more technical than it used to be, but only
those willing to keep up and tool up will continue to keep their bees alive
and filling supers with honey.  Funny, I actually decided that I wanted to
keep bees, not just because it was nearly as humble an undertaking as
"shepherd", yet without the smelly sheep, but also because it would be a
good break from the hyper-technical rigors of my lab and  the "Politics of
Science" at AT&T Bell Labs as a whole.  Do something "simple".  Yeah, right.