Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:12:25 -0500
> I am convince the problem lies with the location. What is different today
> from say six years ago?

Since now even the chief scientist of the IPCC agrees that we have been in a
cooling trend for the past several years, it could be as simple as the
micro-climates that exist in every location. Climate is very local. I keep
temp and rainfall records and they can differ greatly with another station
just a mile away.

We are in a general cooling cycle after a warming cycle that started in the
70s. So what we took for granted in the warm cycle will no longer be the
case in this cool cycle, and this may be a long one- estimates are as great
as 30 years and we are in the first 15.

Right now, because of El Nino and a cold Atlantic Oscillation along with
northern volcanic eruptions, you have both coasts warmer than usual this
winter but the middle of the country much colder. We had cooler summers
across the board for the past several summers.

I have thought that, if CCD is moisture related (like fungus), then it could
be nothing more than the weather that promotes it, along with disappearing
disease and other mass disappearances that seem to congregate in the spring
and fall.

Here in Maine, there is always a difference in how bees fare from location
to location, some not more than miles apart. And the difference is not the
same each year. Moisture is probably the largest factor,but temperature and
plant sensitivity also obviously play a part.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine