From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:43:31 +1300
> I do not know time and temperature, but I'm sure they're in the manual
> (don't recall the exact title and don't recall if it was from Austrailia
or New
> Zealand).

Ref: Goodwin, R.M., Haine, H.M. 1998: Using paraffin wax and steam chests to
sterilise hive parts that have been in contact with colonies with American
foulbrood disease. New Zealand Beekeeper 5(4): 21.

160 deg C for 10 minutes - I think that would be 320 deg F? - very hot, and
as Aaron says, very close to the flash point of wax.  But with due care and
concern, it is a very effective means of salvaging equipment that has been
used effectively in New Zealand for many years.

For a description of the process, etc, see:
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/disease/man08.htm

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, New Zealand
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz