Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:47:27 -0600
I suggest that everyone just find a few chunks of natural comb in the
process of being built, such as the pieces bees build in packages or
between widely spaced combs in a hive, or in a natural swarm, and sit
down in a well-lit spot with whatever eye wear that is needed to see
clearly, and ponder what is observed.

One chunk may not be enough as the cells under construction vary in
completeness and orientation along the edge and around the curve of the
comb edge.  Having several combs allows for verification of the
observations made on any one cell by comparing to a comparable on
another comb.

I think that after careful observation of many incomplete cells, the
conclusions are quite obvious, although the exact mechanisms remain
somewhat of a mystery.