From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 09:57:51 -0400
<Agree. This stuff doesn't just happen. Except in very large scale
populations like those in the wilds of Africa or South America. But again,
a banana will never adapt and become a mango, no matter how much you might
wish it were so.>

By the very nature of the randomness of mutations, stuff does sometimes
just happen, and not just in large populations.  Smaller populations by
their very nature have the tendency to evolve more quickly (and die off
more readily).  I am not claiming that I know of any bees that have so
evolved, in fact they are pretty likely to be diluted into the large
population we have if they did, but I think we are missing some of the
picture here.

There is no point in arguing whether evolution is fast or slow because it
proceeds at variable rates based on selective pressure, diversity in the
gene pool, and just plain dumb luck (see random mutation, genetic drift,
gene flow, and/or founder's effect) and I'm sure other factors i'm
forgetting or unaware of.  So is it possible that bees have evolved
resistance in 28 years, certainly, especially if they weren't working from
scratch (lost my citation was a dissertation of varroa resistance in
Africa, cape bees maybe?).  Is it very likely, probably not, based on
how susceptible bees appeared to be when varroa was introduced and the fact
that we saved tons of them from death.

I think we should try not to claim something is impossible just because
it's improbable and instead just ask for proof.

Jeremy
West Michigan