From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:03:46 EDT
------------------ Original message (ID=694437) (80 lines) --------------------
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Fwd: Drag Queen????]/thelytoky in apis mellifera
From: [log in to unmask] (tomas mozer)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 07:38:40 EDT

From: [log in to unmask] (vger)
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Subject: Drag Queen????
Date: 2 Jul 1998 20:22:16 GMT

> I've had a Queenless hive with laying workers...
> I noticed that the workers had made Queen cells.
> Now my question is:  Since the laying workers only lay drone eggs, if
> they lay an egg in the queen cell, and the workers treat it as a Queen
> egg with royal jelly and all.  When the bee hatches out is it still a
> drone but thinking it's a Queen?  Does it act like a Queen or a Drone?
> So would it be called a Drag Queen then?  :)
--------- End forwarded message ---------

an article in the may,1991 issue of beescience (v.1,#3) by
degrandi-hoffman, erickson, lusby&lusby reports on thelytoky (a type of
parthenogenic reproduction
where unfertilized eggs develop into females) in a strain of u.s. honey
bees...
(paraphrasing from the abstract):
"a strain...with the ability to rear workers and queens using the eggs of
laying workers...was developed from commercial stocks of european
bees...previously, thelytoky was assumed to occur rarely...with the
exception of the south african cape bee (a.m.capensis)...comparisons of
worker behavior and ovarian development were made among queenless
colonies of (this strain) and two (other) lines...(this strain) had a
significantly lower percentage of workers with developed ovaries at the
time when eggs...first appeared...all three constructed queen cells and
deposited eggs in them but viable queens emerged only from (this
strain)...(second) line did not rear larvae...but in some instances the
(third) line did...however (they) destroyed the queen cells either prior
to or soon after capping them."
(paraphrasing from the results):
"...(third line) produced only drones from laying worker eggs, although
some colonies
reared larvae in queen cells...these...were larger and longer than
those...in colonies
rearing queens from a mated queen's brood."
guess you can have pretenders to the throne (false queens) in the hive,
even some
times restoring rightful rulers (true queens), but "drag queens" will not
be tolerated?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]