From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 11:51:19 +0100
Hi

In recent years my wife and I have found far fewer varroa mites in our.
hives. We used to get several hundred following Apiguard treatment, now we
seldom reach 100. We treat with Apiguard in late summer and with oxalic
acid in the middle of winter, and perhaps this is a very effective control
strategy for our conditions.  Other local beekeepers have also reported
generally fewer mites in their colonies.

This reduction has coincided with the introduction of neonicotinoid
insecticides on OS rape and this is one of our major crops.  Is there any
possibility that the levels of systemic pesticides that are being found in
larvae and adult bees are having an effect on varroa mortality?

If this has been suggested before I am sure the Moderators will reject this
note.

Best wishes

Mike Rowbottom
Harrogate