From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:03:03 -0500
?  Unfortunately, it paints
> commercial beekeepers in a bad light,

I have not saw the movie but what I have heard.

Despite all the hype and the predictions of Rudolf Steiner commercial
beekeeping is alive and well.

I think the prediction which jolted the industry into action was not the
prediction of Steiner but the prediction of Bob Harrison that hives would
enter the U.S. to pollinate almonds *if* U.S. beekeepers did not get their
act together.

Thanks to Florida beekeepers stepping up and sending thousands (and
thousands)of hives to almonds, expansion in certain operations I am happy to
report most almond growers wanting hives received hives. Hives returned from
almonds in possibly the best shape in years.

Most of the beekeepers have worked their hives which returned from almonds
to Texas and the trucks are headed north. I leave Wednesday for Texas to get
bees.

There were some hard luck tails before almonds and some hives which did not
grade . Still a puzzle as too why different outfits get hit and others do
not. Hopefully I will get first hand information to share when I return but
will only be in Texas two days.

The CCD team really has not come up with anything new and if you ask
commercial beekeepers why their bees seem better this year the answer I get
is simply trying to be a better beekeeper and some say running less numbers
( or hiring extra help) has helped.

Regardless the talk of pushing for opening the Mexico border has stopped for
now.

Winter losses from those I have spoke with (phone)have been much better than
last year but quite a few weak hives and those not able to feed early lost
some hives to starvation. One commercial reported only a 5% winter loss!

I have no idea how hobby beekeepers hives wintered but demand for packages
and nucs from their group has been high the dealers tell me. Package bees in
my area from California are selling for around $100 for a three pound
package and $20 & up for queens to hobby beekeepers and I do not know of any
nucs for sale.

What are others on the list seeing this spring? Did your bees winter good?
Mine did!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Missouri