From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:33:49 -0600
This morning I watched the program "This Week In Agribusiness" as I do when
I can.

Two reps from Monsanto were explaining three of their GMO corn seeds for
release this spring.

Explaining the degree of control their products have on insect pests.

One selling point Monsanto made (quote from 11/28 7 am program)

"Even three kernels lost per ear can add up to a bushel an acre and at
today's corn prices serious money loss"

The above is of course a "sales pitch" to sell their product as farmers know
many other factors control yield such as combine timing. A friend picked up
a couple *thousand pounds* of corn from about 150 feet of an area field
after combining this year when the dry weather caused quite a bit of corn
dropped when combined.

Better heads for combines are being developed which could save more than a
few kernals per ear. many old combines still in use drop more than a few
kernals per ear but still in use.

The Monsanto folks talked of the need for better corn pest control for those
which have been using the growing "corn on corn" trend. (which I am always
complaining about and  family farmers warned us against)

Which for those on the list not understanding is
the growing trend of planting corn year after year in the same field
(without ever rotating to soybeans, grass and back to corn)

The list knows I am not a big fan of Monsanto and only trying to inform
people.

As for corn the Monsanto motto of "Feed the world"
has become with farmers in rural America:

"Fuel the SUV"!
 (ethanol).

bob