From:
LLOYDSPEAR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:46:39 -0400
It has been said:

"I don't oppose progress, but I do oppose a technocratic world where
decisions are made in secret
based on the quest for power and wealth - for the good of the elite."

and:

"The potential side effects and unwanted ramifications are not being
discussed openly. Anyone who attempts to risks being called a chicken little
or a Luddite."

These kind of statements are unfortunately typical of those who only wish
discussion on their terms.  Decisions made in secret for power and wealth
for the good of the elite?  How about the quest for knowledge?  I happen to
think THAT is the basic reason for the honey bee genome project and object
to those who would deny such a quest because the knowledge may (in their
opinion) be used inappropriately.

As far as being a chicken little or a Luddite...By definition, Luddite's are
opposed to change.  They ALWAYS deny that and instead use words such as
"technocratic world where decisions are make in secret-for the good of the
elite", and in fact those were almost exactly the words used by the original
Luddite's in England during the early 1800's.  So I'd say, if you can't take
the heat keep out of the kitchen.

Perhaps there is another reason for the lack of continued discussion and
that is boredom?  Listening to the same thing over and over is pretty
tedious.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com