From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 21:43:42 -0700
Jim writes:
> But there has been no consistent evidence of
> "success".  Dee's own large-scale losses are only the latest
> evidence that small-cell is much less a panacea than the claims
> made might lead one to believe.

Reply:
Yes, I lost aprox 200 hives out of 300 in one area next to another commercial beekeeper that does migratory (almonds and other). This happened last part of Aug/Sep of past year. Found the bees spitting out the pollen and honey in the hives and propolizing everything squeaky clean. No dead bees on bottom boards. Some were in a clustering mode rather then out foraging with a good flow going on. Went overall from about 860 down too 660 going into winter, not counting having to carry another 6 big yards due to Kitt Peak Observatory fire that hit national press last summer and with plants burned down to ground, even with monsoon rains, they couldn't forage enough for going into winter. So both areas I had to feed to carry over winter so I took all honey from other yards and did what I had to. But I held numbers with Dean and Ramona's help to 600 plus and numbers are growing again, and all are 4/5 deeps and I am right now taking honey for coming year......even
in these bad areas.

But I didn't feed artificial feed to them. I fed back my crop last fall and took the hit up front. I also figure due to circumstances I lost about 25% compared to others doing worse with treatments and all. But losses happen naturally and with fire and CCD perhaps (dunno as no lab tests back to read), but I stil got bees and they are coming on and by fall hope to have numbers back for will do splits again after summer main flow over for going into fall, or at least try. also I am not working with 1-2 boxes like many.

continuing:
> The controlled studies done in both GA and FL (yet to be
> published) show more mites per 100 worker brood cells in
> small-cell colonies than in conventional control colonies.

Reply:
this is normal and I have talked about this in the past and posted same in discussion on various lists. For you want to see high numbers and with cell size the mites go to the smallest first and this has been written about in the past and is evident on first broodnest turnovers when regressing down and converting back. But it is a good sign and good thing to see.

I have related this in the past even here, probably still in archives, of the broodnest acting like a living "LIVER" for filtering out diseases and pests in a hive.......nothing new.....But the mites go to the small first when drones kicked out and the seasons two major broodnest turns are done.Only way for naturally getting the mites out, with chewing out of varroa shortly following, and in archives will probably find that here too talked about in the past.......Anyway, when first year and first major turns are done then things taper down and then you don't normally see it so wild........nothing hard to follow. It just takes a good 2-3 years to see it....Nothing hard, you just follow the bees and watch.

Dee

Be a better friend, newshound, and