Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:29:10 -0400
Ron Bogansky wrote:

> I guess I have said enough, its time to get down off the box.  I probably
> stepped on a few toes but remember its just my opinion.  You are probably
> wondering what I consider a "fair" price.  I charge $3.25 retail and $2.00
> wholesale for a one pound jar.  Price comes down as container size goes up,
> but it never goes below $1.20 per pound.  I produce between two and three
> thousand pounds per year.  Its what I do and it works for me.

Well Ron .... Yes and No.  I somewhat agree with you.  Wee all should
strive to keep professional yet realistic standards on our product.

The man I work for tries to get $3.00 for his honey.  The lowest we sell
wholesale it for is $2.08/lbs.  That is to a grocery that buys in
60#bulk, we get our containers, plus any others back, and they commit to
a minimum of 60#/month.

On the other hand, I can't sell his honey to a vender when he is asking
more than what they put it on the shelf for.  His answer is a little
harsher than your's "My honey is worth $3.00, and if they don't want
then I'll just feed it back to my bees"
Well needless to say we have a lot of last years honey left over and I
don't know any bee keepers that would pay $3.00/lbs for sugar or any
other bee feeding substute.

I the big distributers tried to get $3.00 you would never see honey on
the ingredient label of any food product.  Corn syrup and flavors will
take over the world.

Well off my soap box now ..... We just need to find the delicate balance
for our areas.