From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 18:11:02 +0100
On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Adam Finkelstein wrote:

> Liz Day wrote:
>
> > It could be some kind of dominance behavior, where the 'muggers' are
> > showing their dominance over the 'victim'.  I understand bumblebees
> > do this - keeps the other workers from getting too cocky and laying
> > eggs.
>
> Cocky? A little anthropomorphic, eh Liz?
>
> What about grooming for varroa mites? Did this colony have varroa?
>
> Adam

Hi all,

There is certainly a consensus for some kind of dominance behaviour,
I've seen it regularly so I'll try to observe more and see if this
does appear so. They are certainly not queenless -- when they are at
shows I'm pointing her out to people every few minutes (breaks the
ice at parties :-), so that's not the trigger. It might be an effect
of them being in a very small hive though? There can't be more than
a couple of thousand BAS, the rest of the two frames is now
wall-to-wall honey and there are many possibly bored workers. Also,
the small size may be a little worrisome for them?

I cannot see any varroa in the hive, although it's probably there
somewhere as it's in all the rest now. However, I guess it could be
a response to a general feeling of irritation. I could see the
'victims' quite well and there was no sign of a mite on any of them.
I don't *think* mites are the reason, but I keep an open mind about
these things. _Especially_ if this looks like a grooming response.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]   CompuServe 100332,3310
               [log in to unmask]    CompuServe 100070,413