Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 09:56:35 -0400
>>What percentage of the total posts did the top 10 submit?
>
>>Go to http://www.bee-l.org , take a look and let us know.
>
>OK.  A search on all posts with containing the string "a" with the substring
>box checked, for the period "04/01/2011" to "04/30/2011" yielded no results
>and no error message about errors in the formatting of the request.

Probably because the server is still searching.  All messages contain the letter "a" in multiple instances.

Either that or the search engine ignores a and the and an or will not accept strings under three characters in length for the reason stated above. No matter.  That is not the obvious approach.

Going to the BEE-L Home link, dependingh on how you set up your preferences, you should see something like this:

Latest Messages
April Top Ten List
 Jeffrey R. Hills <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 09:37:13 -0400

A Modified Two-queen System: “Tower” Colonies
 allen <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 09:40:10 -0400

Re: From the Dust Bin
 Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 07:18:33 -0400

AIA number of inspectors
 jimmy odom <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 08:13:30 -0400

Re: ALL My Bees Died
 Karen Thurlow-Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 07:34:39 -0400

Re: ALL My Bees Died
 Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 05:59:26 -0400

Re: But does quantity equate with quality?
 Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 04:50:49 -0400

Re: Response to Peter
 Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
 Mon, 2 May 2011 07:49:26 +0100

Re: From the Dust Bin
 Karen Thurlow-Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
 Sun, 1 May 2011 15:41:44 -0400

Re: But does quantity equate with quality?
 Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
 Sun, 1 May 2011 23:19:45 +0100

BEE-L
 Hide Latest Messages

May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010, Week 1
June 2010
May 2010, Week 5
May 2010, Week 4
<etc....>

The list is sorted by date and time.

Sort by author by clicking on "From"

The data you need is presented now and we see there are 411 posts.

You should be able to do the rest.