From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 07:41:02 -0800
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> The USDA, ARS Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics and Physiology
> Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is seeking the help of
> beekeepers in a project aimed at combatting Varroa jacobsoni.  We
> at the laboratory are searching U.S. honey bee germplasm for
> traits which contribute to resistance to, or tolerance of,
> varroa.  Beekeepers are urged to contact us if they are aware of
> infested colonies that have survived for more than a year without
> treatment to control varroa.  Many people have commented to us
> about colonies that they think may be resistant.  Now is the time
> to critically evaluate these genetic resources from across the
> nation, as resistance may indeed have had a chance to be
> expressed.   We ask the nation's beekeepers to check for possible
> "survivor" colonies as beekeeping activities are stepped up in
> the weeks ahead.
>
> This project can accommodate up to 50 queens.  The queens will be
> evaluated in 1996, and the best will be used for further stock
> research and development during the next two to three years.

 Thank you very much to Dr. Rinderer and his staff at the USDA Genetics Lab.
  Beekeepers has to be awhare of funding problems in the USDA. Congress
is cutting money not adding to the pot.Do more with less. If beekeepers
are really thankful for the help of the USDA. Each one should write just one
little E-mail to there congressman telling them how much we apreciate the
help of the USDA of our big problem with the Varroa mite.There is no free
lunch.We need a positive image for beekeeping.Its like a hand shake and
thank you.This step is positive and we will need more steps.We will take
one at a time.We do have other pathogens working on our bees right now.
So we really do need to help each other and change the idea that
beekeepers just set back and don't participate. My hat is off to Dr.
Rinderers group and the people who have been writting to get something going.
I think the Prayer helped to.
 Roy