From:
Susan Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:29:38 -0800
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Tim Arheit wrote:

> Ohio State's extension in Wooster, Ohio has a small bee museum.  From what
> I remember they would likely have containers from this period.  They had many
> glass containers of all sorts as well as larger metal containers, 3-5 gallon
> rectangular metal containers.

I have also seen small stoneware crocks inscribed "Honey." These
were doubtless for personal use. They turn up on eBay now and then,
and I have seen them in antiques shops. Covered pails were sometimes
used for larger storage. My grandfather had an old dented one of tin,
with a hinged cover that lapped the rim of the pail. He claimed
it had been passed down from his dad's dad, which would put it in
about the right era. (Now that I remember that pail, I wonder what
happened to it? Grandpa used it like it was any old pail for honey.)

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops         |"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- [log in to unmask]    |stream..." -- Anon.