From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:35:10 -0500
> I have recently done so, Bob, in my last article in ABJ, which explains a
> proposed model for the mechanics that create CCD in a hive, based upon my
> field observations of collapsing colonies.

I remember you telling me about your experiments and also Terry Brown
(Australia for the list) told me about your research when we last talked. We
speak at least monthly. I have not read either ABJ or BC the last two
months. We read soon and comment.

> CCD is also being seen in hives which have never been exposed to
> neonicotinoids, so where does that take your argument?

My argument has always been about the neonicotiniods causing problems but
its hard to simply look away from the two largest areas of their use being
Florida & California and these also the most problem CCD areas AND point out
that CCD in Texas is not on the same scale and the neonicotinoid use in
Texas is not on the same scale as the other two areas.

In Florida in 2004 I was looking into widespread hive loss. thousands of
hives with strange symptoms.
We believed then that the issue was virus related (based on samples sent to
Ball in the U.K.) and our talks with those virus researchers . However temik
use was being replaced by the neonicotinoids and those bees were pollinating
those crops.

Coincidence?

Maybe or maybe not. In any case we decided (back then) that the new class of
systemics were not the cause of the problem and focused on the virus issue.

>   Pesticides, as well as miticides, are clearly harmful
> to colony health.  But they are not the "cause" of CCD.

And your provable cause is?
The naming of CCD has provided beekeepers with an excuse for hive loss to
replace the old excuses.

> Pesticides will continue to be a problem even should CCD drop off the
> radar
> in a few years.

I agree!

 I feel that it is in the best interests of the bee industry
> to not link the two together.

Pesticides are listed by the CCD working group as one of four possible
causes or contributors to CCD so I am not ready to completely dismiss their
possible involvement in whatever CCD is.

bob