Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 06:26:45 -0700
>>>  I should take this opportunity to repeat his (Steve Tabor) mantra " there is no such
thing as a "pollen substitute" only "pollen supplements" or words to
that effect.

QUERY:  Dr Steve felt that only fresh or frozen pollen would do for raising drones out of season, the pollen substitute would not do.  Have the advances in research and formulation advanced sufficiently since his proclamation that this might not be true with today's formulations of pollen substitute?

Would a mixture of say 3/4 pollen substitute and 1/4 real pollen suffice to do the nutritional trick that needs to be accomplished to produce sufficient drone force for mating requirements.   And along that  line, to ensure there are sufficient drones for your mating requirements, how many out laying hives would one need for a fifty nuc queen rearing yard and what should their placement be.   I know this is probably in the archives and I'll be investigating those posts, but new thoughts might have come into play since those posts.

Mike in LA