From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:51:53 -0400
> No experimental study has so far provided conclusive evidence of preferences for high-quality pollen in honey bees.  Indeed, it is possible that honey bees are not able to assess the nutritive value of pollen because they do not consume it directly but transport it to the hive in their pollen baskets. This could also explain why honey bees may readily collect toxic pollen. In conclusion, it is well possible that colonies regulate the quantity rather than the quality of the pollen that is collected. In a natural environment, this may suffice to ensure an adequate supply with all essential nutrients.

Irene Keller, Peter Fluri and Anton Imdorf.  2005. Pollen nutrition and colony development in honey bees – Part 1. Bee World Vol.86 (1) 2005 pp. 3 - 10

> We tested in honeybees (Apis mellifera) whether dietary protein quantity (monofloral pollen) and diet diversity (polyfloral pollen) can shape baseline immunocompetence (IC) increases in dietary protein quantity did not enhance IC.  Interestingly, polyfloral diets enhanced some immune functions compared with monofloral diets, in particular GOX activity, meaning that the diversity in floral resources confers bees with better in-hive antiseptic protection. This demonstrates that diet diversity is important and that a minimal nutrient diversity may not meet all honeybee needs.

Cedric Alaux, Francois Ducloz, Didier Crauser and Yves Le Conte. 2010. Diet effects on honeybee immunocompetence. Biol. Lett. published online

Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca  NY USA
peterloringborst.com