From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:31:00 -0700
>I am going to go out on a limb now and say that if in Australia hives start
collapsing with reported CCD like symptoms ( similar to Spain reports but
without the varroa/ PMS influence) many researchers will have to rethink
their opinion on the importance of controlling nosema ceranae in bee hives.

Australia makes for a great "control group" as Peter suggests, since bees
there are not exposed to varroa and tracheal mite (nor N ceranae in W.A.).
Also note the lack of DWW, which is in all our colonies in the US and
Europe.  And Bob, I have been diligently questioning Australian beekeepers
and researchers since N ceranae was confirmed in Australia--for the very
reason that you suggest.

A major Australian researcher and extension apiculturist, with extensive
knowledge of Australian beekeeping, scoffs at the notion that nosema is a
serious problem as long as colonies are well nourished.  He has not yet
noticed that N ceranae is any different.

On the other hand, I hear reliable reports from other areas (not Australia)
that indicate that N ceranae at levels of 5M retard the buildup of nucs, and
production of larger colonies.  But also concurrent reports from the same
areas to the contrary!

This is what I find so confounding about N ceranae!  And why I hope to
figure out what makes it a problem in some situations, yet only a minor
player in others.  Certainly appears to be other factors involved.

Wholesale use of fumagillin, especially as a prophylactic treatment, should
be questioned for at least three reasons:
1.  Potential honey contamination
2.  Evidence that it retards colony buildup if nosema is not present at
above 3M spores (Eischen).
3.  Likely development of resistance, which would leave us with no ammo.
4.  Fumagilin is an immune suppressant in vertebrates, and likely in bees.

Randy Oliver