From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 08:48:17 -0700
Allow me to highlight a few sentences from Pete's post that are especially
trenchant to this discussion:

> Floral pollen, corbicular pollen, and bee bread stored over time in comb
> cells differed in the predominant molds present (Mucor sp. in floral pollen,
> penicillia in corbicular pollen and in bee bread stored for 1 week,
> aspergilli and penicillia in bee bread stored for 3 weeks, and aspergilli in
> bee bread stored for 6 weeks).

The chronological progression of species involved in fermentation is of
interest.  I'm curious as to which stage of fermented pollen is most
nutritious?

> > We describe wide-ranging endogenous bacterial taxa that are capable of
> inhibiting an important honey bee pathogen and show considerable variation
> within and across colonies in the distribution of these taxa.

When you look at Evan's data, you see a wide variation in microorganisms
from colony to colony, and yard to yard.  This suggests that priming
colonies with probiotics may be beneficial.

Randy Oliver