From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:24:42 -0700
>So, once again, perhaps what we think we see is deceptive.

I am in total agreement on this point!  I've tested (alcohol wash) a number
of colonies lately in which I saw mites on the bees or combs, which usually
indicates to me that mite levels are very high--yet they actually had
phoretic infestation levels of less than 5%.

On the other hand, I've tested colonies with no noticable signs of mites,
yet which have much higher levels when actually tested.

I've tried virtually every testing method, and only put much faith in either
alcohol (or soapy water) wash (Medhat's shaker is easiest), sugar shake (too
time-consuming for commercial), or sugar dusting over a screened bottom for
1-hour drop (probably the most accurate).

I have little faith in visual observation, ether roll, drone brood
uncapping, or natural mite fall (unless done over an extended period).

Randy Oliver