From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 08:22:10 -0700
On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Keith Cutting wrote:

> As a bee-ginner, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to
> approach this problem.
>
> I had a hive swarm on me in September.  I captured the swarm and
> boxed them.  I fed them all the sugar water they would take.  They put
> honey up in one shallow super and layed some on the frames in the
> deep. They were also able to put in a fair amount of late season
> goldenrod pollen.   In New Hampshire this will probably not get them
> through the winter.
>
> I should also note that the queen did produce brood that matured.
>
> Most of the "old" beekeepers in the club I belong to tell me that there
> is little I can do to insure their survival.  I would like to  prove them
> wrong.
>
> Keith Cutting   [log in to unmask]

Likely the "old" beekeeers are right but here is an idea.

Prepare a division board that will be used to separate a strong hive from
this swarm that will be placed on top of it.  This board can be as simple
as a piece of plywood that has a screened hole in the middle - say 6" x
6".  Fly screening should be OK.  The idea is simply that the upper
colony will share the heat - and perhaps some of the food, with the lower
strong colony.

Further, anything you can do to prevent heat loss from this now double
colony should be helpful.

My climate is different but I have had no success feeding during the
winter and it is surely winter here in Alberta.  If there is still some
warm weather - use a hive top feeder or inside feeder and get as much
syrup into them as you can.  You might also move some emerging brood from
another colony to get the population up.

Having said all that - an alternate plan is to set aside any money you
might spend on sugar and insulation and use this to purchase a new queen
in the spring.

Eric Abell
Gibbons, AB