From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2018 14:43:40 -0400
Bill T wrote:
>what is the rest of the story? How did you handle the packages that
>arrived "on time"? Install them or wait?

I installed them the same day, Thursday.  Temps were in the low 40’s F / 6 – 7 C by the time I was able to install, cool enough that a few bees remained in each package, too chilled to move up into the hives.  They died, when it rained that night, but the losses were minimal, a few dozen max in the worst case.  Bees were flying Friday and Saturday, and on Saturday I released the queens.  Would have waited another day or so, but was away for Easter Sunday, and the queens had been in the packages since Monday, so figured they had had enough time together.  Plenty of bees in each hive, so minimal drifting, possibly one benefit of the cold temps, and they were slowly taking down the syrup from their package cans that I placed over the inner covers (they were almost full, so didn’t see the point in wasting them).  I travel every week, so won’t be able to check them again, until Saturday.  We are expecting another 3 – 6 inches of crystalline atmospheric H2O vapor tomorrow with another potential storm next Tuesday, so will probably be supplementing with syrup this weekend, as the cold temps and continued snow have really delayed the early bloomers.  Glad I bought those pollen patties.  They have plenty of honey and bee bread stores, but hoping the fresh feed will kick-start brood-rearing.

Bill
Claremont, NH US
New England Weather Attitude: 0° F – All the people in Miami die. New Englanders close the windows.