From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:20:07 -0500
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>      One (we only have one) Alaska "Director" (not sure of proper
>      terminology) for the ABF has returned to his local association with
>      dire warnings of some new virus infecting honeybees.  This virus,
>      according to him is a worse threat than the mites.  I would very much
>      like to hear more about this viral threat.  What is known about it?
>      Does it exist?  I have heard nothing about it on the List so far.

        Hello Tom,
        I believe he is refering to what Dr. Shimanuki calls PMS,(parisitic
        mite syndrome). Symptoms are similar to brood dieases like AFB,EFB,
        chilled brood, but not exactly. There is debate over the exact
        cause of these symptoms but some research indicates that viruses
        are being spread by varroa mites. The viruses found in affected brood
        and adults are not "new viruses" but have existed externaly on
        honeybees. There are good papers by Dr. Brenda Ball that deal with
        this, I think you can get them from IBRA. Also,their books "Living with
        Varroa"and "Perspectives on Varroa" are excellent.

        This past fall many of our bees were in poor condition or dead with
        these symptoms. In two yards with about 35 col. each, there were only
        7-9 alive at my last fall visit. I expect near 100% loss in these
        yards. Overall, about 20% of my bees were dead. All of these had
        PMS. In addition, 35% of the live col. had PMS. I don't expect a
        good spring. This condition is all over New York State, and I've
        heard it may be common all across the north.

        The problem exists in operations with various treatment history.
        Some treated with used stips(Apistan), some with one new and one used
        strip, and one of my friends treated with two new strips this spring
        and he also has problems.
        There is alot of speculation about the effectiveness of Apistan
        and some people think the manufacturer is skimping on the active
        ingredient. Personaly, I doubt if that would be worth it to them.
        I'm not even sure if all the affected colonies have high varroa
        levels or if all colonies with high mite levels have PMS.

        Does anyone have any recent test data on Apistan?
        Has anyone noticed unusually high mite levels this year?
        Has anyone observed PMS in colonies with low or normal varroa levels?

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b