From:
Rod Billett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 09:27:06 -0400
Hi All,
   My bee's are exhibiting a behavior that I wish to better understand 'Why
- What are they doing'.  A percentage (20 - 25%) of the bees gathering on
the landing and bottom board of my hive are 'Dancing'.  They are arching
their bodies (Head and tail down) and they walk backwards about 1/2 - 1
inch.  While moving backwards, They are rapidly 'brushing' the surface with
their front legs.  The books state that this 'washboarding' behavior is
done when they attempt to apply propolis to a large surface area.  In an
effort to close holes/cavities and protect against ants and other crawling
insects.

My question is  Why are they attempting to propolize the bottom board and
landing board.  They are well painted, and quite smooth with no holes,
scratches, or cuts.  Also, I have not seen many ants crawling around the
landing or bottom board.

Occasionally, the bee exhibits another behavior that I have not been able
to identify from my books.  Sometimes, as they are walking backwards, they
will bump into another bee.  Often, when this happens, they will extend
their abdomen (Straight back) and lift it up and down 2 - 4 times.  I have
seen this behavior in bees that are not washboarding as well.

Any insight would be welcomed.
Rod Billett
Columbia, SC  USA