From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:18:49 -0400
Joe Waggle writes:

"For the purpose of illustrating my answer:
I’ll call the “CCD Colonies”,  which I think are:
‘absconding / dwindling colonies’"

Whether you are a believer in CCD or not, the scale of collapses that are
being or have been reported have to be at least noteworthy if not
alarming.  If this were an ordinary thing that beekeepers should expect, I
doubt there would be so many people trying against all odds to make a
living at beekeeping.

Calling it absconding or dwindling really doesn't address the issue, does
it?  Colonies abscond for a reason and they dwindle for a reason.  If a
small percentage of them abscond or dwindle you can brush it off as par for
the course, but when you loose an unusually large percentage of your hives
you tend to think that it is, well, unusual.  You tend to want an
explanation; a root cause.  I think we can agree that every case of
dwindling or absconding probably does not have the same root cause.  And a
careful observer, which experienced beekeepers tend to be, may note some
slight or even significant differences in symptoms between one large scale
die off and another.  If a bunch of very experienced beekeepers suffer
unusually large losses and agree that these losses show a common
combination of symptoms that they believe they have not seen before, it is
reasonable and useful for them to give the situation a special name; in
this case CCD.
   Whether CCD is new or something that has happened before is really
beside the point.  It is new in the sense that it is here and now.  The
real point is that it is devastating and whether it has one cause or many
we want to know what is causing these unusually large scale losses.

Steve Noble