From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:29:14 -0600
Phil asks:
What would you say was the best two queen system?

In my opinion Dr. Farrar was the most knowledgeable beekeeper in the world
on the two queen system. he researched around 400 two queen hives for many
years and wrote about his findings in the American Bee journal & Gleanings.

Dr. Farrar used medium depth frames (as did most of the bee labs at the
time) and square boxes (18 by 18) and I had trouble adapting his system over
to deeps.

The principal was the same.

Willard Madole ( A Midwestern Beekeepers Assn. member now deceased) wrote
one article for ABJ ( around 1967-69 I believe)about his two queen system
for Missouri. Willard kept bees into his nineties and was a close friend of
mine. He kept all his hives in two queens  for over 40 years. I gleaned a
wealth of information from Willard. Willard said I was the only beekeeper he
ever met which was truly interested in his methods.

I only do two queens now as a novelty. As Allen points out they are a
tremendous amount of work and time consuming.

Reply to Allen's post:
Years ago when I had time to experiment I set up many experiments using
information provided in articles and books.

I raised comb honey over queenless bees (C.C.. Miller method). I did two
queen hives (Dr. Farrar & others).
I recreated experiments of Dr. Farrar on honey production.
I then went to experimenting with honey production in singles and double
deeps. Two queen hives.
I would take a yard of 10-12 hives and make up 2 or 3 hives using monster
slabs of brood . I did experiments with brood and only field bees. Brood and
only nurse bees. I shook swarmed. I demareed hives. I tried hive configs I
never read about.  I did a huge number of experiments with upper, side and
middle entrances.
Maybe if a few researchers and beekeeping book writers had been looking over
my shoulder they might change a few things in beekeeping books .
I wanted to see how the bees reacted to various hive manipulations. I am
sure the bees hated to see me drive into the bee yard in those days but was
a learning thing for me.
Bob

Ps I am going on the road for a month so will be gone from BEE-L from Dec.
26th. till last week of January. Happy Holidays to all and look forward to
seeing BEE-L members in Jacksonville!