From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:34:07 -0700
It appears to me that some are getting too hung up on nomenclature.

The "Russian" bees from the Baton Rouge Lab are derived from stock from the
Primorski region, and have specific genetic markers, so I see no reason not
to refer to them as "Russians."

"Italian type" typically refers to the colony's behavior--Mediterranean
type:  gentle, large winter cluster, broodrearing all summer, less
cool-weather foraging, not as responsive to pollen flows as carnica, low
use of propolis, etc.

"Italian" these days in North America may be better defined by the traits
that one selects for, rather than genetics.  To me is useful for
differentiating from African, Caucasian, Carniolan, Russian, etc.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA