Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 08:47:29 EDT

<< The weather is starting to reach temperatures above 50 degrees
 so I have attempted to start feeding my hive.
 The only problem is that the bees don't seem to be taking any of
 the sugar syrup! I've been checking the hive when I get home from
 work and I've noted that there are some bees outside the hive at
 the time I get there, (5-6 pm) but they just aren't touching the
 sugar syrup! (I have a enterance bottle feeder) I haven't opened
 the hive yet this year, but I can hear a pretty healthy amount of
 buzzing in the hive. (I'm waiting for a weekend day when the temp
 is greater than 60F to open the hive) Should I be concerned? >>

   In cold weather (and you are still cold in Vermont), always feed on top of
the cluster. Entrance feeders are notorious for not helping hives, especially
weak ones.
Put a feeder pail on the opening in an inner cover, or make a 16 x 20 sheet
of plywood with a hole in the middle, if you don't have an inner cover with a
hole.

   You can open a hive at 50 without worry. Don't pull brood frames and leave
them out while you do a slow inspection. But removing the cover to check the
cluster size and position is no problem. I'd do it at 32, if I can get to
them.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm