From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:40:05 -0600
> Well here's my 2 cents worth, According to the standard
> explanation...
>
> Terramycin cannot "control" AFB.  Terramycin prevents the larvae
> from getting AFB.  AFB is bacterial and spread by microscopic
> spores. Terramycin will not affect the spores. Use of Terramycin in
> a colony with AFB, will reduce the symptoms, and may appear to
> "eliminate" the problem. But, I wouldn't bet my colony and the other
> colonies in that yard on it.
>
> Foulbrood is still out there, even though we are concentrating on
> mites... Grins, John

Well, if you  don't use TM and you'll have AFB sooner or later.
That's true of most of North America, and I suspect some other
places that don't admit it.

What does it matter if it comes form the environment or your own
hives.  People are throwing partly emptied honey jars  honey into
the dump and your bees are picking it up.  They are also going to
the neighbour's hives that just died of AFB.  They are robbing trees
and houses that have had bees die out.  MAybe there are some spores
in your hives, but if they are few, what does it matter?

Time has proven that

If you assume you have AFB and act as if you did, you will never see
it.

If you assume you don't and act as if you don't, you very soon will.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>