From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:47:05 -0700
Bill Truesdell wrote:

> As were those who believed in Global Cooling back in the 1950s. The same
> hype was around then with the same certainty in the press as it is
> today. Time and Newsweek both were on the Global Cooling bandwagon, just
> as they are on GW today.

I agree. Here's a look back on the predictions made on the
first Earth Day in 1970 by the academic professionals of that era:

University of California, Davis, professor Kenneth Watt:

"If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees
colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees
colder by the year 2000. Š This is about twice what it would take
to put us in an ice age. We have about five more years at the outside
to do something"

University of Wisconsin Professor Reid Bryson said:

"The rapid cooling of the earth since World War II is also in accord
with the increased air pollution associated with industrialization and
exploding population."

North Texas State University professor Peter Gunter said :

"Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following
grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in
India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan,
China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or
conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist
under famine conditions....By the year 2000, thirty years from
now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe,
North America, and Australia, will be in famine"

Harvard biologist George Wald said:

 "Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate
action is taken against problems facing mankind."

Stanford University Ecologist Paul Ehrlich said:

"In ten years all important animal life in the sea will be
extinct. Large areas of coastline will have to be evacuated
because of the stench of dead fish."

"Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever
small increases in food supplies we make,"

"the Green Revolution...is going to turn brown."

"DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons "may have
substantially reduced the life expectancy of people
born since 1945."

Washington University biologist Barry Commoner said:

"We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the
survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place
of human habitation,"

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.