From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:04:53 +0200
Dennis Murrell wrote:

> My own experience indicates that about 85% of the colonies will initially
> accept the cell and rear the virgin queen. About 65% of the hives will
> get a virgin successfully mated......
> ...... About 10% will raise a new queen. So about 75% of the
> hives will get a new queen one way or the other, 15% will retain the old
> queen and 10% will need additional work.

This is very similar to my experience. I believe we have the same kind of short
explosive summer development when the bees get so engaged in honey during the
main flow that we can do this operation without disturbing them much.

I'm on lat 60 north, and will be going out with loads of cells in a couple of
weeks..

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden