From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 08:24:04 -0400
Always great to hear from you, the only proponent of small cell I believe.

D. Murrell wrote:

> Sorry to hear about your losses. Did the mites get them or was it something
> else?

My guess is something else. I still have to discuss it with Tony Jadczak to see what might have happened, but
the cause and effect relationship with no treatment for the first time and loss seems to point to Varroa.

> He has indicated that, so far, they are no more productive than his other
> hives. When I had them, they were better than twice as productive. I suspect
> that your thoughts, about different management practices/skill level having
> a major impact on small cell beekeeping, are also correct.

I would also add location, location, location. It is amazing what local environmental factors can do, even with
the same beekeeper and bees.

> Are the bees still swarming in your area? Maybe that empty equipment would
> attract a swarm or two.

I believe, from observation and honey lures that there are no longer any honey bees in my area. I am going to
get two nucs of carnies and two more queens in June, so should be at four colonies (usually only keep three- it
is a hobby) soon enough. I will raise one on 5.3, two on 5.1 and one on 4.9. Should be interesting.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine