From:
Mary Jane Phifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:27:50 -0400
I have 5 hives- three are large, two are smaller (2012 splits) and now here we are in mid July, looking at another  month of 100+ temps, 0 precip, grass that is crispy and trees dropping leaves.  16 inches behind in rain from this time last year, if not more.

Last year my bigger hives robbed my weaker ones and I realized this all too late.  How do I stay ahead of the game?  All hives are starting to use their stores and I have already borrowed frames from the larger hives to give to the smallers.

Looking at the archives it seems many suggested to take frames from the big girls to give to the little hives, various feeding methods, etc.  yet it seems if I top or front feed the small hives it will only attract unwanted attention and with this heat, I am afraid to close up all the ventilation.  However, not doing so could also give easy access to robbing, correct?

Should I set up a remote feeding station using several small feeders?  This would definitely have the larger hives taking most, but then that would also build them up faster to share with weaker hives.  There are no beekeepers 2-3 miles near me- used to be, not any more.  Not really worried at the moment about competition, but that could change.

Woods, rocks, hills and eaten-down pastures and drying ponds is all that is around us.  Suggestions?

Mary Jane
south central Missouri